I am a wedding and portrait photographer who keeps things light, fun, and full of energy. I’m based out of Springfield, Illinois however I love traveling all over the midwest and beyond.
inquire about your session!
Hi Again! Last week, by request from a couple of my brides, I was asked to talk about wedding day makeup. If you missed that topic, you can find those wonderful tips HERE. I asked the awesome, Sidney Sim back to the blog this time for hair tips and tricks. Sidney is a hair stylist & makeup artist, who I have worked with many times for my boudoir sessions. Once more you can find Miss Sidney HERE if you are in need of her cosmetology services or even on wedding day. So of course after we talked makeup last week, we definitely need recommendations for your mane! We also previously talked about the decision to hire a professional or to go the DIY route. I personally still think if you hire a professional your life (and stress level) will be so much easier and it’s one less thing on your plate. However, Sidney was gracious enough to give me a few more recommendations and tips for making sure your locks are well maintained, best ways for DIY curls, as well as products to help on on the road to your big day.
Let’s begin with Sidney’s hair preparation list
1. Use a skinny serum on wet hair before drying. This can help with dry hair and to also reduce frizz.
2. Do a few deep conditioning treatments over the course of your engagement so your hair is nice and conditioned before your wedding.
3. Leading up to wedding day, get your hair done 1-2 weeks beforehand. This includes your color and cut. It helps to ensure you are in love with your color. And if not, you have time to make adjustments. This is not the time to try something new.
Sidney’s Method for Perfect Curls. She says different curls can be created by how you wrap your hair around the barrel.
1. If you keep your hair flat all the way around the barrel, will get more Shirley Temple curls.
2. If you twist your hair then use the curling iron to flat wrap your hair around it. You will get more Little Mermaid style curls.
3. If you simply twist hair around the barrel it will give you more Victoria Secret curls.
4. For a beach wave look, you can curl the hair then immediately pull the curl down after releasing your hair from the iron. This pulls the curl out a bit and makes it loose. You can also run your fingers through your hair to achieve this look.
Last Tips On The Big Day
1. Day old hair is the best hair! This means a day before the wedding wash your hair as normal. Then not again on the big day. It holds curl better as well as helps to create the perfect undo.
2. For some people who may have oily hair in 1 day, it’s still ok!
3. A great styling tip to get the tease to hold, even oily hair, is a hair dusting product! Sidney LOVES Osis+ Dust It Texture. This product helps give hair a little grittier feeling to help hold that tease and give more hold on an undo.
4. When styling, use a heat protectant while curling.
5. Then you can use a working hair spray with a medium hold to spray each curl.
6. For the final spray use a finishing spray with a strong hold.
7. Don’t use your fingers to lay fly aways down when spraying. It just creates more fly aways! Use the back of the hair spray can or smooth end of a brush.
WOW, right?! Wonderful tips and ideas again from Sidney! Make sure to do a trial run on your hair style as I suggested to do with your makeup. You want it all to be perfect and waiting until the biggest day of your life is not the time to wait to determine what you want. Practice makes perfect! This goes if you are having your hair professionally done or DIY’ing it (Is that even a word?). You can even schedule your trial run for both hair and makeup on a day when you have a fitting for your dress. Then you can see the whole look together! THANK YOU one more time to Sidney for her help! I hope all of these suggestions paired with the makeup tips from last week will ensure you are prepared and ready to rock your wedding day look!